On suspicion that his son stole his money, Gregory Enweaso, a 48-year-old man in Anambra State, Southeast Nigeria, allegedly cut off the wrists of his 22-year-old son, Abuchi.
Enweaso, from Egbengu Village, Nimo in Njikoka Local Government Area of the state, and another of his sons, Chinomso, allegedly led the victim away from the village to attack him.
Abuchi alleged that his father and brother conspired and chopped off his wrists after which they tried to kill him and use his body for rituals.
He said the two accused him of stealing some of their properties for which they got him arrested and detained at a police station but later secured his bail.
Abuchi said they chained his legs for four weeks and on a certain day, his father and brother asked him to join them on a journey and at a point, drew out a cutlass and made him place his two hands on a stone and cut them off.
He said the father threatened to make him blind and used a needle to pierce his eyes until they bled.
“My father said he would ensure that I died so he could use my parts for ritual because he has no use for me.
“He chained me for days and used a machete to flog me mercilessly,” Abuchi said.
A member of the community, John Obiora, said the victim was known to have attacked his father in the past.
He, however, noted that the father over-reacted and ended up ruining the young man’s life.
Oniora said the father was a native doctor who cared less for children, adding that he had been ostracised by his kinsmen for his bad ways.
The police said the matter was reported on Thursday, October 15, and that the suspects had been arrested.
SP Haruna Mohammed, the Police Public Relations Officer in Anambra State, who confirmed the incident, said the victim had been rescued and taken to the hospital for medical attention.
Mohammed said the suspects claimed that Abuchi took N150,000 proceeds from a ceremony they held in the family.
“The suspects equally chained the victim and abandoned him for four weeks leaving him in pain.
“Suspects voluntarily confessed to the act, claimed that the victim allegedly absconded with the sum of N150,000 proceeds realised by the father after a party, “ he stated.
Mohammed said the case had been transferred to the Criminal Investigation Department for investigation.