Youth representatives in the Judicial Panel set up by the Lagos State Government to investigate atrocities of the disbanded Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) and the Lekki Toll Gate Plaza shooting on Saturday withdrawn their participation from the panel in protest against Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) restriction of bank accounts of #EndSARS protesters.
The Judicial Panel of Inquiry was forced to adjourn due to failure to form a quorum.
Justice Doris Okuwobi, Chairman of the panel and retired Chief Judge of Lagos, said the youth representatives did not show up for today’s sitting.
HumAngle had earlier reported the restriction placed on accounts of #EndSARS protesters and a company supporting journalists covering the protests.
On November 5, the CBN secured a court order from a Federal High Court in Abuja to freeze the said accounts following a suit filed by the apex bank on October 20.
The court order directed banks to freeze transactions on the accounts for 180 days pending the outcome of an investigation being conducted by the CBN.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has submitted an affidavit to the Lagos State Judicial Panel.
According to Channels Television, Army representative, Ibrahim Taiwo, a Brigadier General in the statement submitted to the panel, confirmed that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos had requested the intervention of the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai to suppress the already brewing violence within some parts of the state.
According to the affidavit, Salisu Ovada Bello, a Lieutenant Colonel and the Commander of the 65 Battalion was at the Lekki Tollgate and had fired blank bullets into the air in order to disperse the protesters.
The commander explained that no one had died, adding that only two people fainted.
The affidavit also explained that Brigadier General Francis Omata, who was also at the Lekki tollgate, confirmed later that evening that there were no fatalities.