Fresh attacks by the Islamic State aligned terrorists erupted in the Mocimboa da Praia municipality, in the northern province of Cabo Delegado.
Mozambican government forces said the insurgents had been subdued.
According to Defence and security officials, “the terrorists ventured to attack Mocímboa da Praia last June 27. But the Defence and Security Forces have repelled the attacks, thanks to the response of the air force, which significantly degraded the operations of the insurgents.”
It added, “there are more than 25 fatalities among the terrorists with unspecified amounts of military hardware and ammunition recovered from them.”
But unofficial knowledgeable sources told HumAngle that the Mozambican Defence and Security Forces suffered huge losses with the killing of an unnamed top commander on Saturday.
There is no figure on civilian casualties but witnesses said that scores were feared dead.
Meanwhile, the Interior Minister, Amade Miquidade, has called for the deployment of more troops to areas suspected as habitual operational and escape routes for the insurgents.
The minister gave an assurance that the terrorists were losing grounds in Cabo Delgado dramatically but warned that the insurgents would likely resort to civilian soft targets.
The resurgence of insurgency has resulted in over 1,000 fatalities and 200,000 internally displaced persons since 2017.