News

Over 80 Civilians Killed By Boko Haram In Cameroon Since Jan. 2021- Report

Boko Haram is not relenting in its war against soft targets in Cameroon, killing at least 80 civilians between January and March 2021.

More than 80 civilians have been killed by the Boko Haram terror group in Cameroon since the beginning of 2021, according to a report by Human Rights Watch published on Monday, April 5.

 This is coming on the heels of a commendation of the national army and village vigilante groups for their efforts in repelling attacks by the terrorist group on civilian populations within the past two weeks.

 “Last week was a victorious week for our defence and security forces as well as the village vigilante committees which have routed several assailants of the Boko Haram terrorist sect who attempted to enter the villages and military posts,” said a journalist, Georges Alain Boyomo.

On Saturday, April 3, a group of Boko Haram terrorists invaded an onion farm in Talakachi within the Mayo-Moskota sub-division of Mayo-Sawa division in the Far North region while the farmers were harvesting their crops.

“The aim of the terrorists was to kill the farmers and take away their motorbikes and cattle but thanks to the intervention of members of a vigilante committee, the assailants were chased away while three of them were captured and handed over to the forces of law and order,” a member of the vigilante group told HumAngle.

The night before that Saturday attack, Boko Haram terrorists tried to attack the multinational joint task force (MJTF) camp situated in Soueram in the Mora sub-division but they were promptly routed by the soldiers of the Cameroon army. 

Eleven soldiers of the Cameroon army were wounded in the attack while one terrorist was killed.

“These brave actions by the defence and security forces operating in the region are to be saluted within the context of mounting attacks by Boko Haram terrorists in the country since the beginning of this year.”

“These attacks have since resulted in the deaths of more than 80 civilians so far,” declared a security analyst, confirming the figures given by Human Rights Watch.

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Chief Bisong Etahoben

Chief Bisong Etahoben is a Cameroonian investigative journalist and traditional ruler. He writes for international media and has participated in several transnational investigations. Etahoben won the first-ever Cameroon Investigative Journalist Award in 1992. He serves as a member of a number of international investigative journalism professional bodies including the Forum for African Investigative Reporters (FAIR). He is HumAngle's Francophone and Central Africa editor.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Translate »