News

Nigerians Have Lost Confidence In The Security Sector, Buhari Says

Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday told security chiefs in the country that Nigerians had lost confidence in the security sector.

The president had previously expressed his frustration over the poor performance of the security chiefs at a meeting of the National Security Council and said their best was not enough.

Tuesday’s meeting of the Security Council was attended by Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, the National Security Adviser (NSA), retired Maj.- Gen. Babagana Monguno, and the Chief of Staff to the President, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari.

Also present at the meeting were heads of the country’s military, the police and intelligence services as well as the ministers of Justice, Interior, Defence, Police Affairs, and the Minister of State, Foreign Affairs.

The NSA, Monguno, told reporters that the meeting discussed two memos on the problem of drug trafficking and addiction as well as the security situation in the Northwest and North Central geo-political zones.

He recalled the president’s last remark over the nation’s security chiefs’ poor performances during which he said that their best efforts were not good enough.

Monguno said that the Minister of Defence, Bashir Magashi, “is working on something” likely to give a new direction to the security agencies.

The reckless use of substances was linked directly to insecurity and violent crime in the country, he said.

The minister further said that the president was determined to restore the trust of the people in the security system.

There has been public outcry over the poor performances of the security and Nigerians have repeatedly urged the president to change them.

The Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) on Monday expressed concerns over the attack on the convoy of the Governor of Borno State, the epicentre of Boko Haram Insurgency in the country.

The NGF Chairman and Ekiti State Governor, John Kayode Fayemi, in a letter of solidarity addressed to Governor Zulum, which was released on Monday, said the forum was also worried that the security situation was rapidly degenerating.

The House of Representatives’ Minority Caucus, in a statement signed by the House Minority Leader, Ndudi Elumelu on Friday, reiterated its call to the president to sack the service chiefs, a position earlier held by the Senate.


Do not miss any update from the HumAngle team. Click on our WhatsApp button below to subscribe to our up to date breaking news and in-depth journalism.

Get WhatsApp Daily Update.

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without proper attribution to HumAngle, generally including the author's name, a link to the publication and a line of acknowledgement.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Translate »
Close
Close