The Nigerian Government has placed a six-month travel ban on another set of 100 travellers who failed to undergo the compulsory COVID-19 test after returning into the country.
In an update on Tuesday on its verified Twitter account, the country’s Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 said passport details of travellers who violated the compulsory COVID-19 protocols would be published.
This is the second time punishment would be meted out on defaulters of the COVID-19 protocols.
“Presidential Task Force (PTF) sanctions 100 Passports in Second Batch of those who failed to comply with the mandatory Day 7 post-arrival COVID-19 Test.”
“PENALTY: 6-month travel restriction from Feb 5 to July 30, 2021,” the PTF said on Twitter.
In one of its ways to reopen its economy after the pandemic lockdown, Nigeria, like most countries, issued an admonitory for inbound travellers to observe seven-day isolation upon their return to the country before undergoing the PCR repeat test to show their health status.
Failure to comply with the protocol would attract the travellers’ passports being suspended for six months. Boss Mustapha, Secretary to Government of the Federation who doubles as the Chairman of the PTF, had said at a briefing last year.
“With effect from 1st January 2021 the passports of the first 100 passengers that failed to take their day seven post-arrival PCR test will be published in the national dailies,” Mustapha said.
The defaulters would be restricted from travelling out of the country for the next six months.