Due to a drastic drop of COVID-19 cases in Kano State and progress made in the response to the spread of the virus, Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje has directed the removal of the total lockdown imposed because of the pandemic.
In a statement, Abba Anwar, Chief Press Secretary of the Governor, Ganduje announced the decision during the Kano State Task Force on COVID-19 media briefing, held at Africa House, Government House, Kano.
He appreciated the progress recorded in the fight against the pandemic, and commended the efforts of the frontline health workers, journalists and other stakeholders in the success made.
The governor said that the state lockdown order had been lifted and that “People are now free to move around for the seven days of the week.”
He however said that the 10p.m to 4a.m. curfew would be observed in the state.
The governor further directed that, “Civil servants of the grade level 12 and above should resume work from Monday, July 6.
“All markets are now opened. So also motor parks. People must observe the protocols of COVID-19 as enunciated by our health professionals.”
While reiterating that street begging is banned, the governor warned that, only one person was allowed on a motorcycle and that, “Tricycle operators must not take more than two passengers. This order is still there for all to know.”
On schools reopening, Ganduje said that, “All schools will only be opened on the directive of the Federal Government.
“But for final year or graduating pupils/students, like primary six pupils and students of Junior Secondary School (JSS III) and Senior Secondary School (SSS III), we are making preparation for their returning to schools.”