Two soldiers were killed and three more wounded when their convoy encountered multiple buried improvised explosive devices and an ambush on May 18.
The Troops of Combat Team 1, Operation KANTANA JIMLAN were on a long-range patrol along Buni Yadi – Buni Gari axis, Maj. Gen. John Enenche, coordinator of the Defence Media Operations (DMO) said in a statement on Wednesday.
He said, “Two soldiers paid the supreme price and three other soldiers sustained injuries as a result of the IED explosion.
“Additionally, a recovery truck, one troop-carrying vehicle and a water tanker that ran into the IED were destroyed by fire.
“Three terrorists were neutralized while an unconfirmed number escaped with various degrees of injury,” Enenche said.
HumAngle had earlier reported that the military plans to place soldiers who were heard in a viral video lamenting the inadequate protection afforded by the Nigerian Army, under counselling.
Enenche said, “Although this kind of outburst is expected in war, the soldiers involved have been identified and would undergo observation and counselling.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will remain unwavering in its quest to end the terrorism and will do everything possible to ensure there is no repeat of this kind of traumatic incident/outburst.
“The Military High Command commends troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE for their unwavering determination, hard work and resilience,” he said.